If you’ve used the GoPro Hero 7 Black for taking videos or stills, you’ll notice its super wide-angle lens – an amazing feature for an action camera. But why is this lens so wide? Its secret lies in its relatively low focal length.
The Unique Focal Length of the GoPro Hero 7
The GoPro Hero 7 Black’s ability to capture almost everything that’s happening around you, from skateboarding escapades to mountain climbing adventures, can be attributed to its focal length.
- The focal length in full wide view can reach as low as 16mm. This makes it wider than a lot of other cameras out there.
- In comparison, my Leica Q camera, which is considered wide already, has a 28mm lens.
- Your typical wide-angle lens, maybe for architectural photography, on a DSLR would be about 18mm.
Despite the default extremely wide lens, GoPro Hero 7 Black offers flexibility with lens adjustments. A setting can bring the focal length to a more standard 33mm, closer to a typical 35mm lens.
The ability of the GoPro Hero 7 to dip down to a 16mm focal length gives users an ultra-wide view, which is priceless for an action camera. The extremely short focal length means it can capture more of the world around you, making your footage more immersive and exciting.
In conclusion, the focal length of the GoPro Hero 7, adjustable from 16mm to 33mm, makes it a versatile action camera suited to capture a huge amount of the world around you. No matter your adventure, the GoPro Hero 7 Black is ready to record it as vividly and widely as possible.
Join the free DIY Life Tech newsletter for hands-on reviews of the latest gadgets, insights on generative AI, exclusive discounts on creator tools, and more.
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black has an extremely wide angle lens, which is great for an action camera.
- The focal length on the GoPro Hero 7 Black is 16mm in full wide view.
- The lens can also be adjusted to a 33mm, which is closer to a standard 35mm lens.
- The short focal length allows the camera to capture a lot of what’s happening in the environment.